It’s that time of year again; a chill in the air and rainy afternoons, winter is on its way. The Winter weather affects us all, including our furry-four-legged-friends! Follow the Animal Rescue Organisations tips below and ensure that both you and your pet have a safe and warm winter.
- Due to the wet and cold weather all pet owners must ensure that their animals have access to shelter and bedding, if possible allow them to sleep indoors.
- Continue walking your animals; don’t stop because of the rain. Grab your wellies and rain coats and head out!
- Don’t stop tick and flea control, although fleas are more present in summer they are still likely to be on your animal during the winter.
- If your dog is kept outside during the winter, add an extra handful of food to their daily meals, because of the cold they will be burning up more energy and extra food will help them with this.
- If you have a puppy, do not put it outside in winter, because it is still young it has not built up resistance to the cold, keep it indoors in a heated environment.
- Dogs with long coats can keep warm outdoors; however, if your dog has a short coat and is kept outside, put a sweater on your dog to keep it warm.
- Don’t dip your dog in the cold, rather use an alternate product that does not involve the dog having to be drenched wet.
- If you have a heater make sure that the wiring is safe and out of reach of your pet.
- Make sure the kennel is waterproof, and move the kennel so that the entrance is not facing the weather, and ensure that the kennel is raised off the ground to prevent cold and damp conditions.
Be sure to visit our online shop http://www.animalrescue.org.za to purchase our great new winter merchandise, there is something for both you and your pet!
Until next time,