With the stormy weather we have had over the past weekend, it seems “silly” to announce the arrival of spring – but it is officially spring and I am sure that we will all soon be wishing for the odd cooler day. Especially those that enjoy the outdoors as much as the dog walking fraternity do.
There is no excuse for not getting out and enjoying the fresh air, and if like me, you have pets that come rain or shine love the outdoors; they will be more than happy to accompany you.
Fortunately for us, Cape Town has plenty of great spots to walk your pets. Having asked supporters, colleagues and friends I have created the ARO Top 10 places to walk your dog guide:
- Tokai forest – dogs are allowed at the lower end of the forest and along Spaanschemat River Road
- Sea Point Promenade – dogs are permitted along the promenade but must be on a leash
- Kommetjie Lighthouse Boardwalk – Lighthouse Road, Kommetjie. Must be under control at all times.
- Noordhoek Common – Noordhoek main road and Avondrust Road, Noordhoek. Same conditions as above.
- Fish Hoek Beach – dogs are permitted to run freely on certain parts of the beach.
- Silvermine Dam – Situated on Ou Kaapse Weg, dogs are allowed in specified areas. Keep on a lead.
- Constantia Green Belt – Alphen Drive (opposite Alphen Hotel), Constantia. As above.
- Rondebosch Common – Park Road and Campground Road, Rondebosch. Keep under control at all times.
- Keurboom Park – Keurboom Road, Rondebosch. As above.
- De Waal Park – Upper Orange Road, Gardens, Cape Town +27 (0)21 400 2521. Keep under control at all times.
If the weather (and other benefits) aren’t enough to persuade you, then consider doing your bit for a great cause and join the Animal Rescue Organisation on Sunday 29th September 2013 at the beautiful Nitida Wine Estate in Durbanville for their second Best Friends Dog Walk, for more information or to register online visit www.animalrescue.org.za.
I look forward to seeing both you and your beloved dogs at this year’s Best Friends Dog Walk which has been described as one of the most relaxed and enjoyable around.
Until next time